How many sets are provided in tennis and how long each game lasts
Just arming yourself with a professional racket and hitting the ball “to the last” is not enough. If you want to play by the rules, you must know how many sets there are in tennis, what algorithm is used to count, and how long the partners are on the court.
So, the basic rules governing “big” tennis have been in force since 1874, and the role of the main and indisputable authority for all tennis players, regardless of their level of sports training, is played by the International Tennis Federation. For brevity and clarity, the organization is called the ITF (International Tennis Federation). This governing body has established everything related to “big” tennis:
- what should be the parameters and coverage of the “correct” court;
- what is included in the list of mandatory attributes of the court;
- what inventory is used for the game;
How many minutes does a tennis set last?
how many games (games) in one set and more.
To understand the rules of the ITF, it is necessary to operate with simple concepts.
What is a tennis set and how long does it last?
How many sets in tennis and how long is a game
To play on the tennis court, the presence of two athletes (two teams) is required, which are rivals to each other. The task of the opposing players is quite simple: to direct the ball to the opposite part of the tennis court with a racket, but in such a way that when it touches the ground, the opponent cannot reflect it.
- A game is several sets: parties divided into games. There is a separate scoring within each game. The ITF regulation is a three-level scoring system.
- The winner of the set is the one who managed to take the lead in 6 games (if the opponent has won no more than 4 times).
- To win a tennis match, a player needs to win 2 sets out of 3 or 3 sets out of 5.
- There is no time limit for a set, just as there are no time limits for each individual tennis match. The number of victory points determines how many games there will be in tennis.
- Do you know how long a tennis match can last? Few hours! The history of sports mentions stubborn confrontations that lasted for hours. Among the longest bouts is the 11-hour fight between Isner and Mayu
- (Wimbledon, 2010). How many sets could there have been on the first day if the weather conditions hadn’t interfered with the players? – It’s hard to say. But the meeting dragged on for three days.
The game went down in history with the unpredictable behavior of the scoreboard, designed for a maximum score of 47:47. On the fifth set of the third day of the game, it was reset to zero. As a result, the victory was for Isner in the fifth set – 70:68.
So, in “big” tennis, 1 set can last from 20 to 60 minutes. The time of the game depends on the preparation of each of the opponents. A long set is a delight for the fans, who will be able to watch very interesting draws between opponents (such as Djokovic and Nadal).
The match, on average, lasts no more than 3 hours. The shortest meeting took 28 minutes – the opponent gave up after the debut set due to poor health.
It is also possible to reschedule the game if the strengths of the opponents are equal, and no one is ready to concede. So that the set does not turn into an exciting (for the viewer) infinity, it is better to stop the match, postpone it, for example, reschedule it to the next day.
The tournament may be interrupted due to a player’s injury or worsening weather conditions, because the weather is unpredictable, as is the outcome of the meeting on the court.
How many games in one set
How many sets in tennis and how long is a game
Are you wondering how many games there are in tennis? From English Game is translated as “game”. At the beginning of the game, the score is zero.
A won serve brings 15 points, a loss also brings 15, but only to the opponent. With the second serve, another 15 points are counted, and with the third – already 10. Then there are the subtleties, which will be difficult to figure out without special training.
So, one player got 40, and his opponent got 30 or less points, so with the next successful draw, the leader wins the game.
With indicators on the scoreboard 40:40, the next successful serve has advantages. The leading player wins (wins the game).
Points are counted up to six wins, but if the scoreboard shows 6:5, you can’t do without an extra game. 7:5 – the set ends. A disputed balance of 6:6 leads to a tie-break that resolves the dispute. The match then continues until an advantage of only two points is gained. The serving player is entitled to one serve, his opponent is entitled to two.
Substitution in a tie-break occurs from the second serve. The player with “seven” points (and a difference of two) is the winner. The site is changed after a set of 6 points. The final game is played without a tie-break.
How many tennis sets separately for men and women
So, we figured out that a set (aka a game) is the most important and largest counting unit in a tennis match. If the meeting provides for 3 game parties, then the winner will be the one who won in two.
How many sets, according to the rules, in men’s “big” tennis? The number of parties is determined by the characteristics of the competition. So, prestigious international tournaments